Repeating last year’s Freshman project, students once again had to work together in groups to produce a Greek newspaper – complete with professional design and a range of article content. As before each group was responsible for one section of the newspaper, from World News to Sports and Opinions, and had to stick to the following design rules:
- Use color only in pictures (can use greyscale shapes)
- Limit font use in your section (can use bold/italic)
- Maximum of four columns per page
- Need to include your section heading on first page
- World News section needs to include the masthead (name, date, price) and index information
- Each article needs a headline, lede and byline
- All photos must have a caption
- Can use appropriate newspaper-style graphics, e.g. barcode, weather icon
However, several changes to the project were made. The biggest being the change from using Google Drawings for the design and layout of each page. With the introduction of the iPads this year we used the iOS version of Pages, which has a range of formatting options and tools.
The other change was the removal of rigid roles within the group, meaning that each student had to write and layout their own articles. Each group had to design a page layout together and then each students had to create and use this layout for their own writing. This made the project run a lot smoother and made sure that each student learned the hands-on design skills on the iPad.
Here are a few shots of the students working on their iPads:
And the finished newspaper, with all the sections stitched together to create one complete document, is published below: